Alice Springs Chicken is the first thing I tried at Outback Steakhouse and I fell in love. It’s a yummy cheesy, bacon and mushroom delicious hot mess.
You will love our Alice Springs Chicken! The honey mustard marinade is so good, be sure to make extra so that you can reserve some for dipping the chicken in when you serve it. You are going to really like all the cheese, bacon, mushroom, and honey mustard flavors infused together and your family will love it too. You simply can’t go wrong with this chicken.
If you would like to grill the chicken instead of pan-fry it… do it. It tastes awesome that way too! It will taste best if, after marinating, you bring the chicken to room temperature before grilling. Then grill over medium-high heat for about 6 to 7 minutes on each side- only turning once. Then add the mushrooms, bacon, and cheese and bake as directed in the recipe.
Our Version of Outback’s Alice Springs Chicken
Prep Time; 10 mins
Cook Time; 20 mins
Total Time; 30 mins
Honey Mustard Marinade;
- 1 c. Dijon mustard (Grey Poupon)
- 1 c. honey
- 1/2 c. mayonnaise
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 4 chicken breasts skinless, boneless, cut into halves
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 c. sliced mushrooms
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- salt and pepper
- 8 slices bacon cooked
- 1 c. Monterey Jack cheese shredded
- 1 c. Cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 tsp. fresh parsley finely chopped
- Use an electric mixer to combine the mustard, honey, mayonnaise, and lemon juice in a small bowl. Whip the mixture for about 30 seconds. Place chicken in a Ziploc bag and pour in about 1/3 of the marinade. Seal the bag and press out as much air as you can and marinate in the refrigerator for about 2 hours.
- Chill the remaining marinade until later. After the chicken has marinated, remove chicken from bag and discard the marinade that it has been soaking in. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and heat an ovenproof frying pan large enough to hold all four breasts and 1 Tbsp. oil over medium heat. (If you don’t have an ovenproof frying pan, transfer the chicken to a baking dish).
- Sear the chicken in the pan for 3-4 minutes per side or until golden brown. Remove pan from heat but keep chicken in the pan. As the chicken is cooking, in a small frying pan saute the mushrooms in the butter. Brush each seared chicken breast with a little of the honey mustard marinade being sure to save a little extra that you can serve on the side later with the dish.